Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Teach, Learn, Explore

My SBS group is now in full swing. One of our activities is called Teach, Learn, Explore. Each month a different sister introduces us to a new technique, a tutorial, a new product or website, etc. This is the first month and I really wanted to do something spectacular. But alas, work, babies and lack of sleep have prevented me from having the time. So for this month. I'm going to present a technique many of you have tried but some may not!

Paper piecing! A great beginning tutorial can be found at Splitcoaststampers. Erin K has a tutorial on dealing with paper piecing just a portion of an image. Gina K makes it look easy with this great tutorial. Amy has one of my favorite tutorials! I have to make some of these baby cards they are super cute!

My suggestions for adhesive include the Sakura Quickie Glue or my very favorite tool under 10 bucks the Xyron 150 sticker maker.

Once you cut out your image, you feed your little paper pieced bits and it comes out like a sticker, you just peel it off and stick. You can also just keep it on the sheet and stick later. It helps also you not lose the tiny little paper pieced bits you just cut out!
I have lots of examples of paper piecing on my blog but here is a new one. On this card, I stamped and colored in the icing on my cupcake and then paper pieced the cupcake lining. If you paper piece first when you color, you might get marker on your lining. The dp is Su and the cardstock is CTMH. The pink brad is Doodlebug and it's all sparkly! I used my JustRite Monogram stamper for the HB and the Happy Birthday was from one of my SU sets. I think the cupcake was from Inkadinkadoo. I also put some glitter on the cupcake so it's shiny in real life.



Pin It Now!

5 comments:

Bunny B said...

What a sweet cupcake card :)

Becky said...

Thanks for the links, I've tried paper piecing just a short time ago with cupcakes too. I like the effect it gives. Thanks for sharing :O)

Chrissie said...

Great project! Now I have to go out and buy another piece of crafting equipment! I don't have a Xyron machine!
Chrissie

Anonymous said...

Very cute card! I like how you put the flowers on the base of the cupcake.

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

oh this is a wonderful card! Love the Inkadinkado cupcake clear stamps!